Friday, May 7, 2010

Emulation Project


I chose to emulate the style of artist Matthew Craven. He has a series of mixed media drawings entitled: "History is Written by the Winners." http://www.marvelligallery.com/Craven01.html. I chose to focus on a religious figure rather than a figure of a Native American or cowboy because my previous work for this class has been to highlight some of the terrors and absurdities of modern and primitive religious practices in the US. This piece was a specific reaction to the recent sex abuse scandals by the catholic church highlighted in the news. I chose to cut out the priest's hands and face because I feel that they are allowed to get away with whatever they want, simply by donning the particular garb a priest would wear. It is almost like a suit of armor for them to hide behind, and I find it atrocious. The simple pattern in the face and hands were simply ornamental, to coincide with Mr. Craven's "horror vaccui," or the need to fill up space with ornamentation. I found the concept interesting because I have been told that white space and minimalism is hot right now, and I wished to do the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment